Gangtok has beautiful places to mesmerize you but among them, Gurudongmar Lake is one such place which will leave you awe-struck throughout your journey.
All you need to know about the most pristine lake in Sikkim!!
Sikkim is blessed with one of the second highest lake, Gurudongmar Lake which is perched at a height of 17100 feet and is among the top 15 highest lakes in the world.
As it is the second highest lake, the view of the lake is splendid with incredible scenic beauty. The encircling of snow-capped mountains and crystal clear icy water, Gurudongmar has a rich religious significance.
Best time to visit:
The weather conditions in the location of the lake are so serene and pleasant that it can be visited at any time of the year.
But the ideal time to visit the Gurudongmar Lake is between November and June. The weather stays quite pleasant and you can enjoy the unobstructed view of the lake and the surroundings.
Clothes to pack while visiting Gurudongmar Lake:
It is not easy to predict the weather conditions so it is suggested to carry warm clothes to protect yourself from the weather.
- Thermals or Warmers
- Thick shirts
- Caps or hats
- Sunglasses to protect from sun rays during summers
Access to Gurudongmar Lake:
- By Air: The nearest domestic airport is Bagdogra Airport and is around four and a half hours’ drive from Lachen. You can hire a taxi from the airport to reach Lachen where taxis are available to take you to the lake.
- By Road: Lachen is connected to all other major cities of Sikkim and you can reach Lachen from any route of Sikkim. Taxis are available to take you to the lake.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station from the lake is NJP or Darjeeling Railway station which is connected to all cities of Sikkim. Taxis are available to drop you to the lake.
Best accommodation facility near Gurudongmar Lake:
It is advisable to stay at Lachen for a night before you visit the lake. You can also stay in Gangtok in several budgets or mid-range hotels with best accommodation choices as per your needs to have a comfortable vacation in Sikkim.
Did you know?
The beauty of the lake has a religious significance where it is believed that Guru Padmasambhava has blessed the lake by touching it. As a result of this even in freezing weather, a part of the lake does not freeze.
Getting around Gurudongmar Lake:
If you want to roam any other city in Sikkim besides the lake then you can surely hire a trusted guide to help you in showing you the nearby places of Gurudongmar Lake.
Attractions in Gurudongmar Lake:
Apart from visiting the Lake, there are many sightseeing attractions to amaze you with the beauty of the place:
- Sarva Dharma Sthal: This temple is located near Gurudongmar Lake. It is a famous spiritual attraction for all religions but previously it was a Gurudwara built only for the Sikhs.
- Tso Lhamo Lake: It is one of the 14th highest lakes located near Gurudongmar Lake. It is a beautiful place and is a paradise for nature lovers.
Other nearby attractions to see while in Gurudongmar Lake:
Do not just visit Gurudongmar Lake; there are many other beautiful attractions to keep you spellbound in Lachen.
- Lachen Monastery: Lachen Monastery is one of the famous places to visit in Lachen. It is one of the most visited places and is the most beautiful example of Tibetan architecture.
- Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary: The surroundings of the sanctuary have Himalayan ranges and are home to a fantastic collection of Rhododendron species.
- Chopta Valley: It is the most picturesque valley of North Sikkim, and is situated near Thangu Valley. With its snow-capped peaks and green valley, it is one of the famous trekking destinations.
- Thangu Valley: This valley shines out brightly than any other place in Lachen. The high altitude of the valley keeps it covered with blankets of snow almost throughout the year.
Activities in Gurudongmar Lake:
As the beauty of the lake is nothing less than any other activity in this place but trekking is the most famous adventure activity while visiting this lake, moreover, it is the base station for several treks in Sikkim.
Visit the lake for ending your Sikkim trip
Gurudongmar Lake is definitely to be one of the best places to be kept on your Sikkim itinerary list. This place has something or the other to offer its tourists and it will give you a lifetime experience to see explore the beauty of the lake than just hearing stories.
Q. What is the best shopping experience in Gurudongmar Lake?
A. Even though Lachen is not the ultimate shopper’s paradise but the hill town of Lachen will give you the best shopping experience for you to buy handicrafts and handloom products.
Q. Which are the best restaurants nearby the lake?
A. The Fortune, Apple Orchard Resort is some of the best restaurants near the lake.
Q. Which is the best cuisine of Gurudongmar Lake?
A. The local cuisine of Sikkim is famous here. Other than those cuisines such as Indian, Chinese are also available in the restaurants.
Q. Are permits required to visit Gurudongmar Lake?
A. Indians do not need a visa but entry permits are required to enter the border of Sikkim and reach Gurudongmar Lake.