Gangtok is being endowed with snow-capped mountains, glacial lakes, tranquil monasteries, lush green valleys, and holistic weather; it is a fairyland destination among other beautiful places within North-eastern India. This serene place is not only famous for its astonishing beauty but also for its holistic Durga Puja festival. The Durga Puja is known as ‘Dashain’ in Sikkim which is a very important religious festival for the Nepali community living in North East Indian state of Sikkim. Entire Sikkim state during the fifteen days of Dashain celebrations comes alive with the aura of merriment and happiness in the air. For those who are want to get a glimpse of the festive glamour during their holidays in Sikkim, this is probably the best time to plan their trips, you should spend your Durga Puja vacation in Gangtok, Sikkim.
Some important things about Dashain festival in Sikkim that you must know-
1. The history lies behind Dashain festival-
According to Hindu mythology, a demon named Mahishasura had created terror in the ‘Devloka’ and it had almost become impossible for the gods to defeat him even using strong mythical powers. To get rid of such a brutal asura, Lords Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh blended their super-powers to create Goddess Durga. She fought with Mahishasura with her powers for nine days and the asura get vanquishing on the tenth day by the Goddess Durga. And that day is celebrated as the day of ‘Bijaya Dashmi’ signifying the victory of good power over evil power.
2. Duration of this holy Festival-
This holy festival is 15 days long festival embarking on the bright lunar fortnight (also known as Shukla Paksha) of the mid-September to mid-October. Among these fifteen days, the most important celebrated days happen to be first, seventh (Saptami), eighth (Ostomi), ninth (Nobomi) and tenth which is called the day of ‘Bijaya Dashmi’. The main attraction of Dashain includes community processions, family get-togethers and festive meals which draw the attractions of many visitors.
3. Relevant rituals during the 15days Dashain festival-
- The first 9 days of Dashain festival are considered the most prosperous ones. The beginning of this holy festival is marked by the ritual of ‘Ghatasthapana Dashain’ when the local people sowed the seeds in a sand block for sacred grass called ‘Jamara’. It is believed by the local people that this ritual makes the homes to be blessed with prosperity, wealth and happiness.
- And by the 7th day, the grass is grown 5 to 6 inches long and marks that day to be celebrated as ‘Fulpati’. On that day there is a tradition wherein Nepalese decorate their Puja rooms with nine types of flowers & leaves include banana stem, pomegranate, rice stalk, turmeric plant, manabriksha, ginger plant, wood apple, Ashoka tree stem and Jayanti.
- The 8th and 9th days are yet another important days for the locales when people throng to ‘Kali Mandir’ to offer animal sacrifices.
- Finally, on the 10th day, mean the day of ‘Dashami’ marks celebrations by friends and families gathering together to enjoy festive meals and dinners.
- The celebration of this festival continues till the 15th day when finally the idols of Goddess Durga along with Jamara are taken in a huge procession to be immersed in sacred rivers.
Choosing the most comfortable hotels to stay in Sikkim:
Every tourist researches about various accommodation options before commencing a trip. Because factors like comfort & affordability are of major concern. So, when you are planning a Durga Puja vacation in Sikkim, you should choose the most comfortable hotels to stay. However, we will recommend you to stay in Gangtok hotels during your Sikkim trip. There are numerous best places to stay in Gangtok, Sikkim for your convenient Puja vacation trip. All the hotels and resorts in Gangtok are well-equipped with modern facilities to offer a comfortable accommodation. Among all, the best budget hotels in Gangtok, Sikkim are Delight Hotels The Fortuna, Delight Hotels Sushanta Awaas, and Delight Hotels Sernya.
Q. What are the best restaurants in Gangtok to get most delicious food?
A. Dynasty Restaurant & Pub, Roll House, and Al Forno are the best restaurants in Gangtok where you will get the most delicious cuisines.
Q. What are the best souvenirs we will get in Gangtok to take home?
A. You will get several beautiful souvenirs to take back home with you includes Thankgas, Choksee table designs, winter garments, Trinkets, Sikkimese Cups, Stone Jewelry, Singing Bowls, Prayer Wheels, Prayer Flags and so on.
Q. What are the facilities provided by the Delight Hotels Sernya?
A. Delight Hotels Sernya will provide you with several amenities including:
- Welcome Drink
- Room Service
- LED TV
- Running Hot Water
- Free Car Parking
- Power Backup
- Fire Safety