With mesmerizing picturesque beauty, Sikkim is known to be one of the most prosperous states of North East India for its indigenous culture and heritage.
Sikkim- ĎLand of Cultural Heritageí:Sikkim has an exquisite culture which is expressed towards any visitors as well as other people in the form of dances. And the cultural heritage of Sikkim is expressed in its traditional folk dances. There is a number of folk dances that are performed in the many monasteries during their annual celebrations. Every dance form has its own specialty and importance which is soothing your eyes and ears. Some of the dances are related to startling the beauty of natural environments. Some of them depict the harvest seasons. So, to know the tradition of Sikkim, you must explore the dances of Sikkim and get soaked in their holy culture.
Dance is a medium to showcase rich history and heritage-The entire population of Sikkim can be broadly divided into three major groups; Bhutias, Nepalis and Lepchas which have their own distinct language, cultural programs, and dance forms. Folk dances of Sikkim go together with the tunes of many musical instruments. Here is a list about the types of folk dances Sikkim that you cannot afford to miss-
1. Folk Dances of the Lepchas:There are a variety of folk dances performed by Lepchas-
Chu Faat Dance-
2. Folk Dances of the Bhutias:Bhutias folk dances are included-
Singhi Chaam Dance-
- Costumes of Dancers- Snowy White Lion Costumes
- The theme of Dance- Mock fights to show the power and strength of the mythical beast.
Yak Chaam Dance-
- Costumes of Dancers- Yak shaped costumes.
- The theme of Dance- Mock fights, war dances, and even performed love scenes of Yaks.
Denzong Gnenha Dance-
Tashi Yangku Dance-
3. Folk Dances of the Nepalis:Nepalis folk dance forms are different types, which are described below-
- Costumes of Dancers- Dhatu Waray or a funny clown dress.
- Instruments- A grand 9 instrument orchestra, known as Naumati Baja.